[IGDA_indies] Results of the survey?

C Ratchet zratchet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:45:42 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Christopher S. Charabaruk <chrisc at meldstar.com> wrote:
> > I'm CST, but 4-8CST Thu or 1-4CST Fri should work fine for me. Remind
> > me on Thu or Fri though! irc.freenode.net #indie-sig will probably be
> > the channel if that's all right.
>
> Awesome, I'll book Thursday for it, then. The channel is fine. If you don't
> mind, I'll add the chat info to the GDNet news queue, too, and the
> announcement should be out later today.

Sounds like a good idea since that's where I surveyed some. IGDA
members and GDNet are where the survey results are from. :) I'll put
out the announcement on a few other IGDA forums/lists too.

> > OK. Some Steam/Source links will probably be one of the first updates
> > to add on my list.
> I don't know about the Source engine being available to non-millionaire
> indies, what with its $300,000 to $750,000 USD tag. But if there's anything
> on using Steam for distribution, that'd be great.
>
> Someone should get in touch with Introversion for an interview for the SIG,
> too. Uplink and Darwinia have both been pretty successful games, plus
> they're using Steam for the latter.

OK. There's a few other indie devs on Steam too. There might be some
good mod things in the Source world too even though that won't be our
main focus.

> > OK, sounds good.
>
> I'll get cracking tonight, then. Should hopefully have a design by the end
> of the weekend at least, if not content. More dynamic stuff can wait for
> now, but I should contact the IGDA webmaster to see what's available beyond
> simple PHP, so I can figure out about setting up automatic news and such.

Yeah, RSS would be nice if we regularly add content. Lets not delete
anything that's currently on the site yet. I guess I'll need to make
sure you have access to the site FTP too.

> > Yeah. I've had a few problems with the wiki, but I *think* it works
> > for me now.
> > We need to figure out how to get people populating that, and maybe
> > move some of our content on the current site to there for easy
> > updating.
>

> Agreed.

OK.

> > I've piggybacked major Indie SIG events on other conferences and LAN
> > parties so far, but I'm working on a full-blown (3 day hopefully!)
> > conference for Austin now.
>
> When is your Austin conference planned for? My TIGC will be happening late
> Aug/early Sep if it clears all its hurdles...

Not sure yet but June/July is what we're looking at.

Thanks
Michael