Tom Hunter & The Song Growing Co. November Newsletter

Tom Hunter - The Song Growing Co. list@tomhunter.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:43:54 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C3A2D1.4E710480

November newsletter...

GREETINGS for November! It=92s getting a lot colder around here =96 22 =
degrees 11/3 =96 with some snow the other day. Amazing how the =
nasturtiums knuckle under so quickly when it turns cold. And it=92s =
always hard to get used to it getting dark so early, particularly in =
these northern latitudes. We=92re hoping this finds you well and warm, =
satisfied and singing!

TO CHEW ON=85 While reading some Wendell Berry essays recently, I came =
upon his account of his brother John in the hospital after a heart =
attack. Berry writes "in the hospital, the world of love meets the world =
of efficiency," and often the world of love takes a beating. The idea =
also applies to the world of education. And if efficiency isn=92t quite =
the right word, maybe scores and impersonal assessments fits better when =
his idea is borrowed for education. In many schools the world of love =
meets the world of measurable outcomes, and the latter wins. =
Relationships are ignored. Teaching strategies and bar graphs plotting =
progress (or not) take over. It continues to be my observation that =
where education works well =96 where kids are engaged, and growing and =
learning as they can =96 someone is paying attention to belonging, to =
building community, to creating lively relationships. In those places =
the world of love is alive and well.

RECENT EVENT=85 I had the first two days of my musical residency visits =
to Wing Luke Elementary School in Seattle 10/27-10/28 =96 four sessions =
each day, mostly with two or three classrooms getting together to sing. =
The liveliest group was the special ed room =96 10 kids, 3rd =96 5th =
grade. We sang and talked and danced, and part of the fun of it was what =
a good time the two teachers had. Some kids who typically disrupt and =
wander were right there when we were singing. As often as I=92ve sung =
with kids, it=92s always powerful to be reminded again how music engages =
so quickly and so deeply with kids who we think of as "slow" in their =
learning. After such experiences I always want to get more forceful =
about encouraging more arts in schools. We need to increase the options =
for kids to express themselves, not keep limiting them.

NOVEMBER DATES=85 (more dates available at =
www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm)
Nov. 4 =96 assemblies at Silver Beach Elementary School in Bellingham
Nov. 5-9 =96 NAEYC national conference in Chicago =96 I do three =
workshops: Thurs. 7-9p at the Hilton with Bev Bos and Michael Leeman (on =
the theme of using songs and stories to hang around with kids), Fri. =
8:30p solo workshop at McCormick Place (on listening to the inner lives =
of children), Fri. 11a-1p at McCormick Place with Deb Curtis and Margie =
Carter (on nourishing the heart of our teaching) =96 son Aeden will come =
with me to work in the exhibit hall at booth #610 which we=92re sharing =
with Hugh Hanley =96 That=92s where we=92ll sell things and try to have =
a human presence in the midst of the hugeness of 30,000 people, endless =
workshops, and stuff to buy.
Nov. 14-16 =96 featured lecturer at the Robert McAfee Brown Lectures, =
First Presbyterian Church, Palo Alto, CA =96 Fri. night lecture, Sat. =
morning intergenerational event, Sat. late afternoon family concert "for =
all us kids," Sun. morning preaching and leading worship =96 detailed =
information from First Presbyterian Church
Nov. 17-21 =96 teacher seminars for the Bureau of Education and Research =
(BER) =96 "Enhancing Early Literacy Skills Through the Use of Music" =96 =
info: 1-800-736-2136 Mon. in Minneapolis, Tues., in Milwaukee, Wed. in =
Newark, Thurs., in Buffalo, Fri. in Boston
Nov. 24-25 =96 second set of visits to Wing Luke Elementary School in =
Seattle

HYPE=85 Check the web site to order recordings =
(www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm). We=92re extending our deal on our CD =
of songs for the Christmas season, "When the Silent Night Starts to =
Sing." Only available to people receiving this newsletter, the Nov. =
price is $10, and we pay the shipping. Makes a wonderful gift, and for =
many families it=92s taken its place as part of the "traditional =
Christmas music" they like to listen to. Just write "silent night" on =
your order and we=92ll send as many as you want to wherever you want =
them sent=85 And that=92s not all! During Nov. we will also pay the =
shipping on other items you buy from us. Again, add the words "silent =
night" to your order=85 Finally, the CD inserts are available. This is =
an effort to encourage the use of songs, particularly for early =
literacy. Inserts are available for "Still Growing," "In the Air," and =
"We=92ve Been Waiting for You." They feature some general ideas and then =
more specific suggestions for 3 songs on each CD. It will be fun to =
start getting feedback on how useful they are=85 More details about =
recordings plus how you can order is available on the web site =
(www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm)=85 Please pass the word so more =
people can sign up for this newsletter=85 Check out the essay "Names on =
the Board" on the web site=85 HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYBODY! and all the =
best until next month!

-------

THE SONG GROWING CO.
1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518
Bellingham, WA  98226
(360) 738-0340
fax: (360) 734-0295
www.tomhunter.com
------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C3A2D1.4E710480

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>November newsletter...</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>GREETINGS</STRONG> for November! It=92s =
getting a lot=20
colder around here =96 22 degrees 11/3 =96 with some snow the other day. =
Amazing how=20
the nasturtiums knuckle under so quickly when it turns cold. And it=92s =
always=20
hard to get used to it getting dark so early, particularly in these =
northern=20
latitudes. We=92re hoping this finds you well and warm, satisfied and=20
singing!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>TO CHEW ON=85</STRONG> While reading some =
Wendell Berry=20
essays recently, I came upon his account of his brother John in the =
hospital=20
after a heart attack. Berry writes "in the hospital, the world of love =
meets the=20
world of efficiency," and often the world of love takes a beating. The =
idea also=20
applies to the world of education. And if efficiency isn=92t quite the =
right word,=20
maybe scores and impersonal assessments fits better when his idea is =
borrowed=20
for education. In many schools the world of love meets the world of =
measurable=20
outcomes, and the latter wins. Relationships are ignored. Teaching =
strategies=20
and bar graphs plotting progress (or not) take over. It continues to be =
my=20
observation that where education works well =96 where kids are engaged, =
and=20
growing and learning as they can =96 someone is paying attention to =
belonging, to=20
building community, to creating lively relationships. In those places =
the world=20
of love is alive and well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>RECENT EVENT=85</STRONG> I had the first two =
days of my=20
musical residency visits to Wing Luke Elementary School in Seattle =
10/27-10/28 =96=20
four sessions each day, mostly with two or three classrooms getting =
together to=20
sing. The liveliest group was the special ed room =96 10 kids, =
3<SUP>rd</SUP> =96=20
5<SUP>th</SUP> grade. We sang and talked and danced, and part of the fun =
of it=20
was what a good time the two teachers had. Some kids who typically =
disrupt and=20
wander were right there when we were singing. As often as I=92ve sung =
with kids,=20
it=92s always powerful to be reminded again how music engages so quickly =
and so=20
deeply with kids who we think of as "slow" in their learning. After such =

experiences I always want to get more forceful about encouraging more =
arts in=20
schools. We need to increase the options for kids to express themselves, =
not=20
keep limiting them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>NOVEMBER DATES=85 </STRONG>(more dates =
available at=20
</FONT><A href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D3>www.tomhunter.com/upcomingevents.htm</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D3>)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>Nov. 4</STRONG> =96 assemblies at Silver =
Beach=20
Elementary School in Bellingham</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>Nov. 5-9</STRONG> =96 NAEYC national =
conference in=20
Chicago =96 I do three workshops: Thurs. 7-9p at the Hilton with Bev Bos =
and=20
Michael Leeman (on the theme of using songs and stories to hang around =
with=20
kids), Fri. 8:30p solo workshop at McCormick Place (on listening to the =
inner=20
lives of children), Fri. 11a-1p at McCormick Place with Deb Curtis and =
Margie=20
Carter (on nourishing the heart of our teaching) =96 son Aeden will come =
with me=20
to work in the exhibit hall at <B>booth #610</B> which we=92re sharing =
with Hugh=20
Hanley =96 That=92s where we=92ll sell things and try to have a human =
presence in the=20
midst of the hugeness of 30,000 people, endless workshops, and stuff to=20
buy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>Nov. 14-16</STRONG> =96 featured lecturer at =
the Robert=20
McAfee Brown Lectures, First Presbyterian Church, Palo Alto, CA =96 Fri. =
night=20
lecture, Sat. morning intergenerational event, Sat. late afternoon =
family=20
concert "for all us kids," Sun. morning preaching and leading worship =
=96 detailed=20
information from First Presbyterian Church</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>Nov. 17-21</STRONG> =96 teacher seminars for =
the Bureau=20
of Education and Research (BER) =96 "Enhancing Early Literacy Skills =
Through the=20
Use of Music" =96 info: 1-800-736-2136 Mon. in Minneapolis, Tues., in =
Milwaukee,=20
Wed. in Newark, Thurs., in Buffalo, Fri. in Boston</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>Nov. 24-25</STRONG> =96 second set of visits =
to Wing=20
Luke Elementary School in Seattle</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>HYPE=85</STRONG>&nbsp;Check the web site to =
order=20
recordings (</FONT><A =
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm"><FONT=20
size=3D3>www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm</FONT></A><FONT =
size=3D3>).&nbsp;We=92re=20
extending our deal on our <STRONG>CD of songs for the Christmas season,=20
</STRONG><STRONG>"When the Silent Night Starts to Sing."</STRONG> Only =
available=20
to people receiving this newsletter, the <STRONG>Nov. price is $10, and =
we pay=20
the shipping</STRONG>. Makes a wonderful gift, and for many families =
it=92s taken=20
its place as part of the "traditional Christmas music" they like to =
listen to.=20
Just write "silent night" on your order and we=92ll send as many as you =
want to=20
wherever you want them sent=85 <STRONG>And that=92s not all! During Nov. =
we will=20
also pay the shipping on other items you buy from us</STRONG>. Again, =
add the=20
words "silent night" to your order=85 <STRONG>Finally, the CD inserts =
are=20
available</STRONG>. This is an effort to encourage the use of songs,=20
particularly for early literacy. Inserts are available for "Still =
Growing," "In=20
the Air," and "We=92ve Been Waiting for You." They feature some general =
ideas and=20
then more specific suggestions for 3 songs on each CD. It will be fun to =
start=20
getting feedback on how useful they are=85 More details about recordings =
plus how=20
you can order is available on the web site (</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm"><FONT=20
size=3D3>www.tomhunter.com/stufftobuy.htm</FONT></A><FONT size=3D3>)=85 =
Please pass=20
the word so more people can sign up for this newsletter=85 Check out the =
essay=20
"Names on the Board" on the web site=85 <STRONG>HAPPY =
THANKSGIVING,</STRONG>=20
<STRONG>EVERYBODY! and all the best until next =
month!</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>
<HR>
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3><STRONG>THE SONG GROWING =
CO.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>1225 E. Sunset Dr., #518</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>Bellingham, WA&nbsp; 98226</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>(360) 738-0340</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>fax: (360) 734-0295</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><A href=3D"http://www.tomhunter.com"><FONT=20
size=3D3>www.tomhunter.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C3A2D1.4E710480--